Tuesday, February 1, 2011

a cornucopia of imperfections

Candles amaze me. Simple, elegant, pure, beautiful. One whole being, structured and designed with purpose, carrying out that purpose. Slowly, steadily working its life down. I have been living for several days with a mere candle for lighting when I can manage it. The design fascinates me - the wax remains in order to maintain a consistent burn on the wick. Think about that for a second - without the wick, the wax would remain in its cold state of being. Without the wax, after being lit, the wick would burn quickly without a control mechanism to keep it contained.

Perhaps I'm too tired to form deliberate thought, but this item fascinates me. I've been thinking about it for the past few days. Thanks to a prompting from a book I'm reading, I was prompted to look at things for more than their use as I know it to be. Watch ice melt in your drink and think about where it must have come from. As you consume, think about where products were formed and where they will go to after you dispose of things like containers and card board boxes.

It gives you several new ideas. Suddenly, recycling doesn't seem to be a far left concept being forced upon me - it's a measure I can take to help clean up. Just a little measure to take care of my surroundings. No guilt trip, just realization.

On a side note, find a good balance between holding your friends close and giving them room. A favorite quote of mine passed on from a good friend says: “If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were.” This seems like a good principle, but if followed by both parties, neither one will ever return.

Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment