Monday, May 11, 2015

We've Spent A Stolen Season Taking All That We Can Take

Hello there friend.

It's a difficult blog I write today. Have you heard the term "the dark night of the soul?" I really enjoy its connotation. In essence, the term speaks about a time in a person's life where that person goes through great struggle. Things seem dark and most likely depressing. Things that don't bother the person become mountains to overcome.

For me, the dark night comes every few years following a great change. My father going to war, leaving college, job changes, moving. This time it's trial by fire. The first few days were the hardest for me. I got terribly sick and terribly depressed. My family and friends surrounded me and protected me from the worst of myself. Still, I haven't felt those feelings off loss and emptiness in years. Every day I come back to my new apartment to find totes off crap and piles of things that still need to be sorted in every area of my space. It leaves me disorganized and almost dizzy.

I imagine it almost feels like someone who has lost memory with age. Where do I keep glasses? Bowls? I need a cheese grater and I know I have three and can't find any of them in the cupboards. So I do the same two meals with the things I do know where to locate. Frozen pizza or a canned meal.

I have been trying to get out of the box and try new things - for instance I've been trying to eat smaller portions and incorporate a fruit and vegetable smoothie in the place of one of my meals. It's helping me feel better physically, but my feeling of confusion and inadequacy continues. So the totes stay stacked around the apartment and I've learned just to walk around them.

So I've come to the fork in the road. It's the place where I need to be bigger than the issues that surround me. Bigger than defeat. Bigger than not knowing. Bigger than depression. Bigger than anxiety. Big enough to not just get on with my life, but to start living it again.

In truth, I wasn't aware of how bad it had gotten. Then, this weekend I went on a small camping retreat with Patrick that was much needed. However it was just long enough, and just relaxing enough that when I was thrust back into reality and life it was as if someone had dunked my head in cold water. Wake up call.

The dark night of the soul is a time of testing. It's time for me to wake up. To be.

2 comments:

  1. My dearest friend, I am sorry that I have not been in contact with you more frequently. I am kind of in a walking through boxes state myself with removing into Babcock, and with the two jobs I haven't been able to really unpack a whole lot or settle in. You mean the world to me and I want to you realize just how much you have changed over the passed years. You have gained so much of an understanding of yourself and a personality all your own. Life has scary moments, but remember that's what they are, they are just moments in time. You ARE bigger than this. I wish I could spend more time with you and be there to walk with you through the turmoils of time, but just know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. And I can be there in spirit for you when you need me. I love you my friend and brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - I know what walking through boxes feels like! You mean the world to me as well! HUGS! I love you as well!

      Delete