Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Moment I Said It

Hello friend. Well, it's the second day of writing and I'm still very pumped up. I was thinking all day about what I'll be talking about on the blog. It was day five of seven at work, so I'm tired yet incredibly grateful for the day I had. While I'm on the topic I'll explain a bit about my job. I work full time in retail, in lower management. I love my job. There is a lot of freedom in my position, and the company I work for treats me excellently.

So last night I finished a young adult novel called Conversion by Katherine Howe. I managed to get my hands on an advanced readers copy a few weeks before it came out. I'll probably refer to this type of book as an ARC. Essentially a publisher will send out copies to interested parties a month or two before the book's release to get people reading, reviewing, talking about, and generally getting excited for the book. Anyway, I had picked up this book on a whim (I was oddly attracted to the vague implications of witchcraft on the cover), and read a page or two.

Essentially, it's the story of a high school senior girl named Colleen, and the strange circumstances happening in her town. Girls at her private school are falling ill of a strange illness with a variety of side effects; one looses her hair, another can't speak correctly, another jitters uncontrollably. Intermixed through the book, the narrator flashes back to Salem during the witch trials. At some point you learn that the town where Colleen lives was once West Salem, and had changed its name. And that right there brings up the main draw of the story to me: are the girls in modern day faking the illness, like we think the girls in Salem did? Or, were both events part of a more supernatural event?

The author did a great job of describing the life of a typical teanage girl; that's what lost me. I kept reading to find out what was causing the illness. If you've looked at the book, you'll know it's been out for several months. At one point, about halfway through, I had enough and set the book down. I only picked it up again a day or two ago. And why, you ask? Because I had to know what caused this mysterious illness. SPOILER ALERT, you never really find out. I'd like to think I know, but the author leaves it on an uncertain note.

I can't say I loved this book, but I think I actually liked it. The ending also seemed anticlimactic as far as an excitement level, but it makes sense in the context of the story and I think I'm okay with that. Colleen never really knew what caused the illness, and she ends the story on antidessants that make her drowsy. So it would make sense for the end of the book to be level and unsure. The flaws of writing a book in first person, I suppose. Right now, I really want to talk about it with someone and no one in my circle of friends has read it, and I doubt anyone would. Don't you hate that? When you really want to talk with someone about something you're passionate about, but you can't find a single person that would?

At any rate, I'm just enjoying some Imogen Heap (The Moment I Said It), the quiet of the night, and some tea. A great way to spend a night. Well, more work tomorrow for me. Have a great night, my dear friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment