Sunday, September 28, 2014

First Train Home

Good evening friend.

So you may or may not have noticed that I have had a small obsession with Imogen Heap in the last few days. In reality, it's been about a month or two (but hey, who's counting?). I find in her music something unique yet universal. It flows through my ears, into my veins and down through my feet into the ground. I hear in it the lifeblood of humanity. I'm not even sure if I like some of her songs, but I feel them and I connect with them in a beautiful way.

Take for instance her song First Train Home. I listen to the song and waves of familiarity rush over and through me. There's something casual and yet understood underlying the song. That need to be home, to be with that one you love. It's that desperate need to be with someone that understands you, that will move on with you. However, you're stuck where you are. People don't get you, they look at you and don't see you. It's not that this relationship you're rushing to is perfect, but it will be what is best.

And so you find yourself rushing to that place that feels right and natural.

That in a nutshell is why I love Imogen. Her music is a bit cryptic, vague, and experimental, but I think she finds a common thread of humanity that I can connect to. Her music engages me, body and soul, and I crave that connection with humanity. I think we all do. We just find it in different ways.

I suppose that's another reason I started writing on this blog again: to connect. I'm aware that I have a rather unique perspective, but I think people might be able to connect with me in ways that perhaps they couldn't through a "normal" perspective. That's why I share what I'm reading, cooking, cleaning, listening to. We might not like the same things, but you can appreciate with me how we connect to the whole of our existence.

While we're talking about things I'm sharing with you, here's some coffee I just roasted. It's a Mexican/Peruvian blend, roasted in my air popper. 75.1 grams, first crack begins at 2:20, second crack at 4:40, took off the heat source at 6:00. Beauifully greasy. I hope you'll share a cup of it with me tomorrow. Until then, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment